Thursday, December 8, 2011

Object Acquisition # 77-129.6.6 Rubber Stamps: Interior of Eye

Documenting objects from The Hunt Show:






Object Acquisition # 77-129.6.6 Rubber Stamps of the Interior of the Eye


Object interpreted and Statement by: Elyse Gambino
to see more of her work go to www.elysegambino.com


Sometimes I forget how creative scientists must be, that Charles Darwin loved to draw and sketch. In my studio I often feel like an explorer making new discoveries, a scientist experimenting with ideas and testing my hypothesis. Art and science are intertwined conceptually as well as historically, and going into OHSU and completing this project gave me the opportunity to examine art and science in a different way. My pieces from the Hunt are creative representations of parts of human anatomy: a set of stamps used for medical publications. I made a large scale "stamp" to hang on the wall and made the subject matter imaginative rather than representational. I was particularly drawn to the stamp of the ocular cavity and had fun experimenting with symbols and objects that are a solely artistic portrayal of the inside of my own eye.






Curators note: Elyse also printed this block. The empty box under the print block was full of prints. 

No comments: